Friday, January 27, 2012

Master Packing List

Since my days of business travel, I have packing for an overnighter or three day trip down to a science. I don't like weighing myself down with things I don't absolutely need and prefer to breeze through security as fast as possible, so I can sit and enjoy a Starbucks.
A packing list is essential to avoid packing multiples or forgetting something. My biggest tip is to use multi-purpose and travel sized wherever possible, e.g. PJ top that can also be gym/workout top, lipstick that can double as blush and vice versa. Here is what I use as a guide.

Make-up: 
  • Foundation & applicator (I prefer sponges for travel as they can be thrown out)
  • Concealer
  • Lipgloss/carmex or lipstick
  • Cream blush (saves on need for brush)
  • Eyeliner(s), usually one black and one chunky colored one
Toiletries:
  • Facial cleanser (baby wipes are great)
  • Facial moisturizer
  • Body moisturizer if you really need it
  • Shower gel & puff
  • Toothpaste & toothbrush
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner (& any required haircare/styling products)
  • Deodorant
  • Tools: hairbrush, razor
  • Non-essential tools: Blowdryer/straightener, tweezers
Clothes:
  • Repeat after me: One change of clothes per day is sufficient. If you can, wear the same slacks or jeans, as well as sweater and jacket/scarf as the day you are travelling.
  • Underwear
  • Socks
  • PJ's / lounge clothing / work out clothing (taking off your "outdoor" clothing once in the hotel helps keep your clothes looking fresh for a second day)
  • Either: Polo shirt & button down (one per day per man travelling - polo for day, button down for night)
  • Or: long sleeved or short sleeved top (one per day per woman travelling)
  • Sweater or cardigan (no more than TWO per week)
  • Seasonal: scarf, hat, gloves, winter coat or similar (Barbour works for all occasions and destinations, layer a quilted one under a waxed one for extreme cold and options!), sunglasses
  • Slippers (let's face it, hotel room floors are gross even in 5* hotels)
  • Shoes (if possible, wear the pair you want to wear the whole trip)
I try and pack coordinating outfits that I can mix and match, so navy/white striped tops and navy or tan bottoms, brown shoes for this trip!

Items for our trip - delicates and toiletries not shown


Additionally:
  • Driving/reading glasses
  • Camera (fully charged)
  • Mobile communication/entertainment device, e-reader etc
  • Chargers & adapters for all devices you're bringing
  • Keys (house, car and to wherever you're going, if applicable)
  • Travel itinerary, passport, ID, driving license (as applicable)
  • Jewellery (I usually wear everything I plan on wearing on day one, so no packing required), belt (fabric avoids issues through airport security)
  • Travel pillow
  • Magazine or book (if electronic device is not sufficient entertainment)
  • Handbag/purse (I like Longchamp Le Pliage bags as they fold up, weigh nothing and take up no space)
Nosy pocket Dachshund (optional)
Large LL Bean tote ready for the trip
These are just my essentials for a basic weekend out of town. Depending on your trip's purpose, length, season and your lifestyle, you will of course need other items as well, such as business suits, ties, gym shoes and clothes, sunscreen, bathing suits. What are your essential packing ingredients?

Kindly excuse my temporary absence...Wishing everyone a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. great list--I love the idea of taking slippers, I'm a germophobe and always grossed out by hotel floors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knooooow! I cringe when my hubby comes barefoot out of the shower and walks around on the hotel carpet. Y-U-C-K. You might as well take another shower, Mister!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!